- “Cybersecurity Governance During and After the Postwar Order.” Presented at Georgia Tech School of Public Policy / Internet Governance Project Workshop. Under review. (2017.)
- “Strategies of Routing Architectures in Internet Distribution and Control.” Presented at SHOT SIGCIS 2015. (2018.)
- “Social-Property Architectures: Historiography and Political Economy.” Presented at Maintainers II. (2018.)
Books in Progress
- Names, Numbers, and Holy Wars: computer science in action through the lens of TCP/IP, DNS, and IANA
- Replica Program: a social and strategic history of internet routing
- Cybersecurity Studies: history/theory for an encrypted information society; with Quinn DuPont
- “Infrastructure and Maintenance at the Defense Communications Agency: Recasting Computer Networks in Histories of Technology.” In press with Technology & Culture. (2018.) With Andrew Russell.
- “Eternal October and the End of Cyberspace.” IEEE Annals of the History of Computing 39, no. 1. (2017.)
- “Metadata, Infrastructure, and Computer-Mediated Communication in Historical Perspective.” Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology 68, no. 2 (2017). With Amelia Acker.
- “Edge Cryptography and the Codevelopment of Computer Networks and Cybersecurity.” IEEE Annals of the History of Computing 38, no. 4 (October 2016): 55–73. doi:10.1109/MAHC.2016.49. [open access version]
- “Infrastructure, Representation, and Historiography in BBN’s Arpanet Maps.” IEEE Annals of the History of Computing 38, no. 3 (July 2016): 44–57. doi:10.1109/MAHC.2015.69. With Morgan Currie.
- “Gateways: Historical Underpinnings of a Single Internet,” iConference 2015 Proceedings. With Morgan Currie.
- “The Production and Interpretation of ARPANET Maps.” IEEE Annals of the History of Computing 37, no. 1 (January 2015): 44–55. doi:10.1109/MAHC.2015.16. With Morgan Currie.
- “Lithium,” in Cultural Sociology of Mental Illness. Thousand Oaks: Sage Reference, 2014.
- “Metadata and Infrastructure in Internet History: Sockets in the Arpanet Host-Host Protocol.” Proceedings of the American Society for Information Science and Technology 51, no. 1 (January 1, 2014): 1–8. doi:10.1002/meet.2014.14505101054. With Amelia Acker.
All papers equal contributions or first author.
Recent & Upcoming Talks
- 2017, Cybersecurity Governance and Cybersecurity Trajectories: A Historical Analysis, Georgia Tech Internet Governance Project (IGP) Third Annual Workshop
- 2017, Social-Property Architectures: History and Theory, The Maintainers II: Labor, Technology, and Social Orders, Hoboken NJ
- 2017, Social Relations and Routing Architectures, Command Lines: Software, Power, and Performance (organized by SIGCIS and the Computer History Museum), Mountain View CA
- 2017, The Encrypted Information Society: Rethinking Social Theory in an Age of Cryptology, Arizona State University Global Security Initiative, (with Quinn DuPont)
- 2016, The Dependence of Cyberspace, The Maintainers, Hoboken, New Jersey
- 2015, The Emergence of Border Router Protocols and Autonomous Systems c. 1968-89, Society for the History of Technology (SHOT) Special Interest Group for Computers, Information and Society (SIGCIS), Albuquerque
- 2015, The Co-Development of Early Computer Network and Cryptography Infrastructure, Society for the History of Technology (SHOT), Albuquerque (with Quinn DuPont)