Books in Progress
- 2018. Inventing Protocol: the Internet and its Crises. Under contract with The MIT Press.
- 2019. The Encrypted Information Society. With Quinn DuPont.
Articles in Progress
- 2018. “Economic Determinants of Autonomous System Topology.” With Michael Kowall and CAIDA datasets.
- 2018. “Autonomy and Authority in Postwar US Computer Science Research Groups: Labor, Power, and Networks.” With Leonard Kleinrock.
I am adding open access and preprint links as time permits; if the article you are seeking has neither, please email me. All co-authored works equal contributions or first author.
- 2018. “Infrastructure and Maintenance at the Defense Communications Agency: Recasting Computer Networks in the History of Technology.” Technology and Culture 59 (4). With Andrew Russell. [preprint]
- 2017. “Cybersecurity Governance: A Prehistory and Its Implications.” Digital Policy, Regulation and Governance 19, no. 6 (July 26, 2017): 449–65. doi:10.1108/DPRG-05-2017-0026.
- 2017. “Eternal October and the End of Cyberspace.” IEEE Annals of the History of Computing 39 (1): 6–7. doi:10.1109/MAHC.2017.9.
- 2017. (Published online, 2016.) “Metadata, Infrastructure, and Computer-Mediated Communication in Historical Perspective.” Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology 68 (2): 412–22. doi:10.1002/asi.23660. With Amelia Acker.
- 2016. “Edge Cryptography and the Codevelopment of Computer Networks and Cybersecurity.” IEEE Annals of the History of Computing 38 (4): 55–73. doi:10.1109/MAHC.2016.49. With Quinn DuPont. [open access version]
- 2016. “Infrastructure, Representation, and Historiography in BBN’s Arpanet Maps.” IEEE Annals of the History of Computing 38 (3): 44–57. doi:10.1109/MAHC.2015.69. With Morgan Currie.
- 2015. “The Production and Interpretation of ARPANET Maps.” IEEE Annals of the History of Computing 37 (1): 44–55. doi:10.1109/MAHC.2015.16. With Morgan Currie.
- 2015. “Gateways: Historical Underpinnings of a Single Internet.” In IConference 2015 Preliminary Results Papers. Newport Beach, California. With Morgan Currie.
2014. “Metadata and Infrastructure in Internet History: Sockets in the Arpanet Host-Host Protocol.” Proceedings of the American Society for Information Science and Technology 51 (1): 1–8. doi:10.1002/meet.2014.14505101054. With Amelia Acker.
- 2018. “Computer Science and Epistemology.” Society for the Social Studies of Science Annual Meeting, Sydney, Australia.
- 2018. “Toward a Political Economy of Cybersecurity.” UCI Informatics Department Seminar, Irvine, CA.
- 2017. “Cybersecurity Governance and Cybersecurity Trajectories: A Historical Analysis.” Georgia Tech Internet Governance Project (IGP) Third Annual Workshop, Atlanta, GA.
- 2017. “Social-Property Architectures: History and Theory.” The Maintainers II: Labor, Technology, and Social Orders, Hoboken, NJ.
- 2017. “Social Relations and Routing Architectures.” Command Lines: Software, Power, and Performance (organized by SIGCIS and the Computer History Museum), Mountain View, CA.
- 2017. “The Encrypted Information Society: Rethinking Social Theory in an Age of Cryptology.” Arizona State University Global Security Initiative, Tempe, AZ. With Quinn DuPont.
- 2016. “The Dependence of Cyberspace.” The Maintainers conference, Hoboken, NJ.
- 2015. “The Emergence of Border Router Protocols and Autonomous Systems.” Society for the History of Technology (SHOT) Special Interest Group for Computers, Information and Society (SIGCIS), Albuquerque, NM.
- 2015. “The Co-Development of Early Computer Network and Cryptography Infrastructure.” Society for the History of Technology (SHOT), Albuquerque, NM. With Quinn DuPont.
- 2014. “Metadata and Infrastructure in Internet History: Sockets in the Arpanet Host-Host Protocol.” Association for Information Science and Technology, Seattle, WA. With Amelia Acker.
- 2014. “Internet Culture at the Defense Communications Agency.” Society for the History of Technology, Dearborn, MI. With Andrew Russell.
- 2013. “Localized Data on the Early Internet: Sociohistorical Implications of ARPANET and NSFNET Traffic Patterns. Society for Social Studies of Science (4S), San Diego, CA.
- 2012. “Mental Health and Economic History: Changes in Antipsychotic Drug Markets in the US c. 1960-2000.” Research Forum in Medical History and the Medical Humanities, University of California, Los Angeles.
- 2011. “Techniques of Pharmaceutical Knowledge and the Gendered Clinical Encounter.” Contested Truths: Re-Shaping and Positioning Politics of Knowledge. Humboldt University, Berlin.
Education & Work History
- 2012-16 Researcher (Professional Series Asst./III), UCLA Computer Science Department
- 2011 PhD UCLA, History of Science, Medicine, and Technology
- 2009 MA & CPhil, UCLA, History
- 2008-09 Graduate Student Researcher, UCLA Neuropsychiatric Institute
- 2005 Visiting Student, Beijing University
- 2003 MA, York University, Political Science
- 2002 BA (hons. & distinction), University of Victoria, Political Science
Service & Affiliations
- 2015+ Department Editor (Think Piece), IEEE Annals of the History of Computing
- 2014+ Oral history interviewer (33+ complete, with UCLA Special Collections)
- 2014+ Affiliate, UCLA Center for Social Medicine and Humanities
- 2012+ Ad Hoc Reviewer for MIT Press, IEEE Annals of the History of Computing, Technology and Culture
- 2017 Co-Organizer, Workshop on New Connections for Digital Humanities and Cybersecurity, ASU
- 2015-17 Co-Founder and Associate Director, Internet Research Incubator at UCLA
- 2014 Co-Organizer, Digital Cash: The Past and Future of Electronic Payment (conference)
- Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Research Data Alliance (RDA)
- Society for Social Studies of Science (4S)
- Society for the History of Technology (SHOT)
- Special Interest Group for Computers, Information, and Society (SIGCIS)
- 2018 HST120 Introduction to Science and Technology Studies
- 2017 HSS371 Computers and Society
- 2016 UCLA Digital Humanities: DH150/250 Algorithms and Protocols in Cyberspace
- 2014 UCLA Digital Humanities: DH150/250 Internet Histories
- 2012 UCLA History: HIST180A Introduction to the History of the Internet
- 2007-09 Teaching Associate, UCLA History, courses in the history of science, medicine, and technology