Books in Progress
- 2018. Inventing Protocol: the Internet and its Crises. Under contract with The MIT Press.
- 2019. The Encrypted Information Society. With Quinn DuPont.
Articles in Progress
- 2018. “Economic Determinants of Autonomous System Topology.” With Michael Kowall and CAIDA datasets.
- 2018. “Autonomy and Authority in Postwar US Computer Science Research Groups: Labor, Power, and Networks.” With Leonard Kleinrock.
I am adding open access and preprint links as time permits; if the article you are seeking has neither, please email me. All co-authored works equal contributions or first author.
- 2018. “Infrastructure and Maintenance at the Defense Communications Agency: Recasting Computer Networks in the History of Technology.” Technology and Culture 59 (4). With Andrew Russell. [preprint]
- 2017. “Cybersecurity Governance: A Prehistory and Its Implications.” Digital Policy, Regulation and Governance 19, no. 6 (July 26, 2017): 449–65. doi:10.1108/DPRG-05-2017-0026.
- 2017. “Eternal October and the End of Cyberspace.” IEEE Annals of the History of Computing 39 (1): 6–7. doi:10.1109/MAHC.2017.9.
- 2017. (Published online, 2016.) “Metadata, Infrastructure, and Computer-Mediated Communication in Historical Perspective.” Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology 68 (2): 412–22. doi:10.1002/asi.23660. With Amelia Acker.
- 2016. “Edge Cryptography and the Codevelopment of Computer Networks and Cybersecurity.” IEEE Annals of the History of Computing 38 (4): 55–73. doi:10.1109/MAHC.2016.49. With Quinn DuPont. [open access version]
- 2016. “Infrastructure, Representation, and Historiography in BBN’s Arpanet Maps.” IEEE Annals of the History of Computing 38 (3): 44–57. doi:10.1109/MAHC.2015.69. With Morgan Currie.
- 2015. “The Production and Interpretation of ARPANET Maps.” IEEE Annals of the History of Computing 37 (1): 44–55. doi:10.1109/MAHC.2015.16. With Morgan Currie.
- 2015. “Gateways: Historical Underpinnings of a Single Internet.” In IConference 2015 Preliminary Results Papers. Newport Beach, California. With Morgan Currie.
2014. “Metadata and Infrastructure in Internet History: Sockets in the Arpanet Host-Host Protocol.” Proceedings of the American Society for Information Science and Technology 51 (1): 1–8. doi:10.1002/meet.2014.14505101054. With Amelia Acker.